Featured Image Caption: Job Opportunities after Fashion Designing
Fashion Designing is a specialized art form that entails:
- Crafting customized apparel and lifestyle accessories, from its conception, designing process through to its final look
- Designing for clothing, accessories, handbags, footwear, etc.
- Market research to gauge current trends, available fabrics & materials, techniques, consumer tastes as well as striving for design inspiration
- Identifying the apt fabric, patterns, colour, and snips
- Developing hand-drawn sketches and CAD drawings for concept approval
- Build design prototypes for showcasing and approvals
- Collaborating with various teams of different departments at varying levels of production to ensure design accuracy
- Ideating on the theme to present the collection
Fashion Industry Outlook:
Given the positive outlook as per the following data, the fashion Industry presents huge potential:
- Indian domestic textile and apparel market was at US$75billion in 2020-21. However, by 2025-26, it is estimated to reach US$ 190 billion.
- The 6th largest exporter of textiles and apparel in the world is India. In 2020-21, it exported US$ 28.4 billion. However, by 2025-26, the exports are estimated to grow at a CAGR of 11% and reach the US $65 billion.
- India clocked imports of US$ 5.6 billion in textiles and apparel in 2020-21. It is estimated to reach US$ 15.2 billion by 2025-26 at a CAGR of 10%.
Few of the career profiles that students can apply for post-completion of their Fashion Design Masters Program:
- Fashion Designer: Fashion Designers are artists who use their creativity and visualization skills to come up with designs for the new collection. They usually specialize in one area of design-clothing (sportswear, children’s wear, Haute Couture Fashion, etc.), footwear, or accessories.
- Textile Designer: Fashion designers in textile and fabric manufacturing units are responsible for making a design or pattern for knitted, woven, or printed fabrics. They can specialize in either of the two major areas of textile:
- Fabrics for interiors- such as upholstery, soft furnishings, and carpets
- Fabrics for fashion
A textile designer must be a brilliantly creative, visualizer, and sketch artist besides having a good eye for colour, patterns & texture.
- Retail Buyer: Retail Buyers are responsible for the success of a retail business for the plan and ensure sourcing of appropriate products at the basis of the apt price the market trends, customer demands, and taste, price, quality, and availability.
- Stylist: Fashion Stylist is responsible to select the appropriate wardrobe for the fashion shows, displays, photoshoots, etc. Their job is not only limited to selecting the right pieces from the designers’ collection but also to pick the right fabric, accessories, hairstyle, and even nail polish. Following are the varied types of stylists:
- Still life
- Blogging/Social media.
Fashion Design Masters Program:
There are lots of colleges offering both undergraduate and master’s programs in Fashion Designing. One must choose a college with a curriculum that integrates the material collation process with the technical proficiency of garment manufacturing in addition to inspiring students to become responsible design thinkers. The college must offer students industry visits, international exchanges, and live projects to broaden their perspectives.