Featured Image Caption: Auto Mechanic
An auto mechanic also known as car mechanic or motor mechanic, they are technician providing automotive services. His primary functions are to detect any problem undergone in an automobile, find out the cause leading to the trouble and give preferable solution against a reasonable charge. They are also responsible for maintenance and inspection of vehicles from time to time. A mechanic might specialize in particular parts of an automobile namely brakes, tires and engines. With advancement in technological development, a mechanic’s work demands knowledge of electronic technology as well.
How to be an Auto Mechanic
The basic requirement for being an auto mechanic is a diploma in high school. However, employers often select those candidates who complete certificate courses in automotive technology. A mechanic can avail better job prospects by earning voluntary certification. Besides certificate courses, associate degrees providing specialization in a particular skill can add a feather to the cap of a mechanic.
Role of Auto Mechanic Courses
Courses are based on classroom learning as well supervised – hands on training. Such courses include basic Mathematics, Computer, Electronics, Automotive Repair, Engine Repair, Customer Service, Automatic Transmission, Brake Systems and Steering and Suspension etc. Such courses impart knowledge to the future mechanics; they not only teach about proper diagnosis, inspection and repair using appropriate tools but also about how to maintain safety while working. An auto mechanic also understands how to optimize engine and other parts of the automobiles.
Career Related to Automotive Technology
After the completion of certificate courses, a trained auto mechanic may opt to engage himself in teaching automotive trade. Other job prospects include being a spray painter, a body builder or a panel beater. A lucrative option is being a pit crew for racing cars. They can be hired at gasoline stations as well.
How satisfying is a Mechanic’s Job
As per the opinion of the mechanics their job is enjoyable and fulfilling. It offers work life balance and is comparatively less stressful. There are ample chances of getting promotion with development in quality of work.
Salary received by Auto Mechanics
The payment received by auto mechanics varies as per the norms of different automobile industries. It also depends on his exact profession and the type of automobile they are working on. Kind of equipment used also matters to an auto mechanic. Their pay is based on their working hours in the workshop.
Benefits of being an Auto Mechanic
- A person with formal education as minimal as a school diploma can opt for such jobs.
- It offers a decent earning potential. Those having their own shop may earn more.
- Such field offers sound career stability as cars are in huge demand, be it transportation of human being or goods. With increase in the number of cars, there is an increase in the demand of auto mechanics as well.
- They have a self-reliant job.
- Automotive industries and workshops often offer health insurance and retirement plans to their employees. Normally the auto mechanics suffer more than a basic cut or bruise, the health benefits and insurance plan is created in such a way as it includes the dire circumstances as well. Tool reimbursement, uniform, educational reimbursement and paid vacations are other such benefits that are offered by larger dealerships.
How to be a Popular Auto Mechanic
A mechanic’s credentials always speak for him. The excellence of a mechanic is proven by his capacity of identifying problems promptly whether it is visible or hidden. An up to date knowledge about technologically advanced cars and equipment required to treat them is a must for auto mechanics.
By Kate Westall
who is a professional blogger and freelance writer, who enjoys enlightening others about unknown and little-known facts. She loves to write on general and all professional topics like home improvement, fashion, automotive, auto mechanic etc.
Member since March, 2018
View all the articles of Kate Westall.