Featured Image Caption: Oxygen Concentrator Machine in Warehouse
What is an Oxygen concentrator?
Oxygen concentrator is a device which concentrates oxygen from the air for medical use. It is mainly used by people who suffer from chronic respiratory problems such as COPD, asthma, or lung cancer.
Types of oxygen concentrators
The two types of oxygen concentrators are:
- Stationary concentrator
- Portable concentrator
Stationary oxygen concentrators are larger and more expensive than portable ones. They are usually used in hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities. Portable oxygen concentrators can be taken anywhere and used by patients who need them.
How do oxygen concentrators work?
Oxygen concentrators are small, lightweight devices that are generally plugged into an electrical outlet. They use a process called pressure swing adsorption (PSA) to capture oxygen from the air, separate it from other gases and deliver the oxygen to you in a steady flow of fresh air. The device separates the required amount of oxygen using high pressure, then lets out the rest of the gas mixture through vacuum and lower pressure.
You have probably seen these devices at places like hospitals or nursing homes in order to supply life-saving oxygen for patients who can’t breathe on their own. Sometimes they’re also used in homes for elders who can’t stay still and need extra help breathing because of chronic lung disease or immature lungs.
Does an oxygen concentrator produce pure oxygen?
The majority of the machines on the market today produce between 85% and 95% pure oxygen.
Can you sleep with a portable oxygen concentrator?
Yes, patients whose oxygen levels getting low while sleeping at night can use a portable oxygen concentrator. It provides them with the oxygen that they need, which is especially important for people who have respiratory disorders like COPD, Pneumonia, Asthma, Emphysema and breathing disorder like sleep apnea. It’s important to talk to your doctor first before using it at night.
Are oxygen concentrators energy-intensive?
Some models of oxygen concentrators use a lot of electricity while others are more energy efficient. The size, weight, and brand of the concentrator also play a role in how much power it uses.
5-litre concentrators use between 250-350 watts per hour and 10-litre 400 to 700 watts per hour.
How long do oxygen concentrators last?
Oxygen concentrators can last between 2 – 5 hours on a fully charged battery, depending on usage, age of the unit, and other factors.
The average life span of an oxygen concentrator is usually five to seven years. But this varies depending on how well it is maintained, which determines how often it will be serviced, and the type of machine.
How much does an oxygen concentrator cost?
The average price for a portable oxygen concentrator is about $4,000 and around $1,500 for a stationary one.
What is the best portable oxygen concentrator?
There are many different types of portable oxygen concentrators on the market that are designed for different purposes and to work with different types of respiratory conditions. There are several most popular models, including:
- The AirSep FreeStyle 2 – This is a lightweight device that is easy to transport when you’re on the go. It has a battery life of about four hours, but it also comes with a power cord so you don’t have to worry about running out of juice halfway through your trip.
- Philips SimplyGo Portable Oxygen Concentrator – It offers the convenience of being able to use it anywhere, at any time, without the need for an external power source. With its lightweight and compact design, you can take it wherever you go.
Which is better oxygen tank or oxygen concentrator?
While an oxygen concentrator is more expensive than an oxygen tank, they are much more portable and easy to use.
An oxygen tank is a good solution if you don’t need to move around too much. They are cheaper than concentrators, but they are not as portable or easy to use.
How to maintain oxygen concentrator
There are some important tips to follow when you clean and maintain your oxygen concentrator.
- Always keep your concentrator away from water or any other liquid.
- If you have to clean your machine, use a damp cloth and avoid using any kind of chemical agent.
- Keep the filters clean by wiping them with a damp cloth.
- Make sure to change the air filter monthly or as needed.
- Keep the power cord away from water or anything else that might damage it.
- Keep the tubing free of kinks or bends so air can flow more easily through it.
- Check the machine periodically to make sure nothing has damaged it.
- The tubing and cannula are the only pieces of equipment that come in contact with the patient’s airways. This means that they are also the most important pieces of equipment to clean. In order to clean your tubing and cannula, wipe them down with a sanitary wipe or a wet cloth. You can also use a UVC if you have one on hand. It will kill any bacteria or viruses on your equipment, making it safe for you to use.
Can I buy oxygen concentrator online?
Yes, you can buy an oxygen concentrator online if you have a prescription from your doctor.
Can I carry oxygen concentrator in-flight?
Yes. The FAA has approved the use of portable oxygen concentrators on flights.
Oxygen concentrators are modern medical devices that can help people with lung diseases. It is important to understand its features, how it works, and how to maintain it in order to make the best decision for your needs.
By Cale Watson
who is a determined, motivated person who enjoys collaborating and achieving. As the Operations Manager at Mega Medical, he is in charge of all aspects of operations.
Member since December, 2022
View all the articles of Cale Watson.