Featured Image Caption: Drug Lawyer Consultation
Drug lawyers are mainly criminal defence attorneys who specialize in the field related to drug defence. Those, who are facing any drug crime charges, will need a drug lawyer to help and represent them in court.
What is the function of a drug lawyer?
Drug lawyers are experts in handling both legal and illegal drug businesses. They are criminal lawyers who deal with all the investigations, criminal charges and post-trial proceedings.
Drugs are mostly used for medicine making but overdose and illegal supplies are attracting many youths. Excess taking of drugs lead to addictions and finally killing several addicted throughout the years. The illegal suppliers need the help of lawyers due to their scandals in any part of the world. Intake of drugs can easily force a person to do any other kind of crime.
Examples of drug:
- Legal drugs: The legal drugs are caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Though these are legal drugs, they still are subject to restrictions regarding location of use, age and, also point of sales.
- Illegal drugs: Some examples of illegal drugs are ecstasy, cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines, and heroin. The penalties for illegal drug-related offences vary on the basis of the age of the offender, quantities of the drug, type of drug, previous offence, and also the territory in which the crime happened.
What does a drug lawyer do?
The drug lawyer has to do at first:
- Try to negotiate some deals with the prosecutor
- Investigate the specific charges against their client carefully
- Formulating a plea, guilty or not guilty
- Interview the witnesses
- Gathering important evidence
- Analyze the case of the prosecutor and how they can defend their client from the claims
- Review the search and seizure procedures, etc.
To say in short, a drug lawyer makes sure that their clients can get a fair shot at defending themselves.
Common types of drug crimes:
Drug crimes are mainly the violations of state or country’s drug laws and common types of drug crimes. These generally include:
- Manufacturing: This includes manufacturing or creating a synthetic chemical substance and also extracting a natural drug, and drug packing. The laws do vary in terms of countries and procedures of drug manufacturing.
- Possession: This is one of the most common drug-related crimes. Drug possession includes that the person intentionally possesses a drug without any valid prescription. Also, in a specific amount that would be for sale purposes or personal use.
- Trafficking or distribution: This type of drug-related crime includes the delivery or sale of an illegal substance. This also involves drug smuggling or the act of transporting drugs from one place to another.
- Using drug: This can be easily defined as taking or consuming an illegal drug. A drug is considered to be illegal if that is not prescribed by a doctor. So, this is also one type of drug-related crime that needs the help of a drug lawyer.
How can a drug lawyer help?
A drug lawyer is really invaluable when it comes to defending an individual in a drug case. If one is being accused of committing a crime that is drug-related, then he/she should consult with a skilled and knowledgeable drug lawyer immediately. An experienced drug lawyer will inform the individual of any laws that could easily impact the case, and help in formulating the best legal defence that is suitable for the case. A drug lawyer can help both innocent and criminals to release them from imprisonment.
Therefore, a drug lawyer is a very important individual of our society who can help us to live a life that we all wish for.
By Kiera Peterson
who is residing in Australia.