The notion that yoga is only about mental health cannot be further from the truth. The closest misconception to that is exercise is just for weight loss. We’ve seen so many people scoffing at the idea of lean people working out. There is a fatal flaw to this general notion and it is time that is flipped over for mass awakening. Mental focus can be strengthened through workout while obesity can be reverted through yoga. In this article, we will talk specifically about the latter. If you do not buy into the idea of slimming down through yoga right away, wait till you have read through the article.
Spot Fat Burning Through Yoga
If your exercise routine is failing you in spot burning, it’s time to try this alternative. In yoga, there is a pose for fat burning in every region. There are yoga poses that burn fat in specific parts of the body like face, midriff, arms, shoulders, thighs, calf muscles, upper back and hips. Thus, local fat burning is no longer a distant dream if you step over to this side of the fence.
Most Effective Asanas for Weight Loss
Here are some of the poses with brief instructions on how to perform them that can help you in your fight against weight loss.
- Jalandhara Bandha: A very effective yoga pose for thyroid patients, this one helps define the jawline by burning cheek fat. To perform this asana, inhale deeply, and put your chin on your chest, at a point between the collarbones, and as you do it, hold your breath. Please do not try this pose if you have breathing troubles, heart disease or high blood pressure.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana: Also called the weight-bearing pose, this one requires you to hold your hip up while supporting your body on your four limbs. This pose is very effective in shaping biceps, arms and even limbs.
- Chaturanga Dandasana: Another very effective fat-burning yoga pose, it is also called a low plank pose. Come on to all fours and stretch your legs out at the back. Now with the support of your hands lift your torso up in a position that your body looks like a low incline from the side. This pose strengthens your core and tones down the arms.
- Ardha Pincha Mayurasana: Also called the dolphin pose, this pose requires you to lift your pelvis up forming a triangle with your torso and limbs, all the while supporting and balancing the body weight with your elbows and forearms.
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana: The upward facing dog pose involves stretching of the arms while lifting the head and the rest of the torso upward. This pose stretches the muscles of the arms shaping and strengthening them.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana: Finally, a yoga pose that works on both the abdominal fat as well the extra fluff on the shoulders, neck and spine. Twist your body towards the back in a sitting position while resting one of your legs in a straight position on the ground and another folded up. Take your arm around the folded knee to make the twist stronger.
Book Yoga classes to get training on each of these poses and more.
By Swami Atmajnanananda Giri
who is one of the famous Yoga Gurus in Rishikesh, India. He is the founder of Arsha Yoga Dham. In every year Swami Atma is organizing yoga training, meditation retreat. satsang programmes.
Do you enjoy writing and have something interesting to share?
You are at the right place. Inspiring MeMe is the world's fastest growing platform to share articles and opinions. We are currently accepting articles, blogs, personal experiences & tips and would love to have you onboard.