When you have little ones – or even older kids who take up most of your time – it’s difficult to find moments to pamper yourself.
Here are 15 beauty tips, tricks and hacks that any busy mom will appreciate.
1. Use baby oil or Vaseline as a highlighter when you don’t have time to dig through your cosmetics bag. You’ll look dewy in less than five seconds.
2. If you’ve run out of shave gel or cream but can’t go another day without shaving, you can use cold cream in a pinch. Cold cream is thick enough to stay put while shaving, and you can even shave without getting in the shower, since the cold cream won’t cause much of a mess. Just shave and wipe off the remaining cold cream with a wet washcloth when you’re done.
3. Have unsightly chapped lips? You need to drink more water, probably, but until your body can rehydrate, do this: wipe on some Vaseline, gently massage your lips with a clean toothbrush, then gently wipe off with a damp washcloth. Swipe on another coat of Vaseline or balm for shiny, moisturized and chap-free lips.
4. Invest in on-the-go products that you can take with you. You can find cosmetics and nail polish removers in wipe form; roller ball perfume; and travel-sized versions of your must-have products, from moisturizers to makeup. If you have down time during your commute, you can handle part of your prep routine then instead of at home.
5. Nail polish can easily chip, making you look less pulled together than you’d like. Instead, buff your nails, which will smooth them out and leave them with a clean, pretty shine. It’s also easy to toss your nail buffer in your bag and touch up your nails even on-the-run. Or, splurge on a gel manicure every two weeks so you don’t even have to think about your polish in between appointments.
6. Switch your routine to evenings or mid-day. Mornings are tough, even for the most relaxed moms (or child-less women in general). There just never seems to be enough time to do everything there is to do. If possible, move some of your routine to the afternoons or evenings, when you’ll have more free time.
7. Consider getting eyelash extensions. This will cut an entire step out of your morning routine, and you’ll always look wide awake and pretty even without a spot of makeup on your face. When you do have time to get gussied up, your eyes will pop even more once you’ve added some eye makeup.
8. Next time you go shopping, purchase products that can do double-duty. For example, find a tinted moisturizer that has sunscreen built in, which will cut out one step of your moisturizing routine. You can also find lip stains or tinted balms that double as blush or eye shadow.
9. Find a way to go with your natural hair. For example, if you have curls or frizz, tame them with hair products made ideally for your hair type. If your hair is straight and flat, use a shampoo that helps with volume. Embracing your natural texture will make getting ready in the morning much easier.
10. Have grays that you can’t get touched up today? Use eye shadow that matches your hair color (or closely matches it) and brush it on your roots using a sponge applicator. Instead of wiping, gently dab the applicator on your roots.
11. If you love your hair best when it has some wave to it (this also makes mini imperfections harder to notice), shower and shampoo at night, then braid your hair when it’s still damp. Sleeping on braids will let you wake up with ready-to-go hair. All you’ll need to do is add a bit of dry shampoo, volume spray or smoothing balm to refresh the style.
12. If you’re at the very end of your foundation, but you don’t have time to run the store to replenish your stock, make it stretch for another day by combining the few drops that are left with your face moisturizer.
13. Pat some lip balm or Vaseline on your brows, then brush them with a clean toothbrush. This will help keep those brows in line, especially if you haven’t been able to pluck them or have them waxed recently.
14. Deep condition once a week. This may sound like it’ll eat up a lot of time for busy moms, but with deep conditioning face and hair masks that you can wear to bed, it won’t take up any of your time. You can also use coconut oil as skin and hair conditioner, leaving it on overnight once a week.
15. Find your beauty ritual that makes you feel gorgeous. It may be as simple as rubbing on some tinted moisturizer to smooth out your complexion, swiping on eye liner or mascara, or wearing your favorite perfume. On the busiest days, doing that one quick thing will make you feel human.
If you have time for more than a hot shower (some days, even that feels like a luxury), these beauty tips will help you feel gorgeous and pulled together. However, if you want more tips, you can find more here!
By Kayla Clough
who is the email specialist here at OurStart. Kayla is a recent graduate of Eastern University in PA where she majored in Marketing and Human Resources. Kayla loves all things fashion, her golden retriever Max, and coffee. When she is not working, you can find her binge watching Sex in the City and baking her latest find on Pinterest.